St. Stephen College LogoInternational Baccalaureate Logo
Intranet
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
Separater
History 繁體中文版本
 

In 1901, a group of eight Chinese businessmen and community leaders wrote to the Governor of Hong Kong asking him to open an English school for Chinese children residing in the Colony.

Through the concerted efforts of Sir Kai Ho Kai, Dr. Tso Seen Wan, Bishop Joseph Hoare and Archdeacon William Banister, St Stephen's College was opened in 1903, with six boarders and one day pupil, as a Christian boys' school.

The object of the Founders was to offer an opportunity for Chinese boys to acquire a highly regarded education similar to that provided by well-known English Public Schools of those times.

It soon attracted overseas students, particularly Chinese from Southeast Asia.

Today, we have many graduates who are international high achievers in every field. They have exemplarily realized the aims of our founders of over 100 years ago.

 

Milestones in History
 
1901

A group of eight Chinese businessmen and community leaders wrote to the Governor of Hong Kong asking him to open an English school for Chinese children residing in the Colony

1903

 St Stephen’s College was founded. Through the concerted efforts of Sir Kai Ho Kai, Dr Tso Seen Wan, Bishop Joseph Hoare and Archdeacon William Banister, St Stephen’s College was opened, with six boarders and one day pupil, as a Christian boys’ school with a structure and curriculum resembling that of the public schools in England. The College was located at the junction of Bonham Road and Western Street in Sai Ying Pun, opposite the present King’s College.

The first Principal was The Ven. E. J. Barnett.

1924 The College was moved to Pokfulam
1928 H.E. Sir Cecil Clementi performed the stone-laying ceremony of Stanley Campus

The College moved from Pokfulam to Stanley
1930 Science Building (Old Lab.) was built The Stanley campus was officially opened with Acting Governor, Mr. W. T. Southorn
1938 The College Preparatory School was completed

There were fourteen students attended, including nine boarders. All the classes were in Chinese, except me lesson per day in English.
1946The College re-opended in the Preparatory School Premises
1950 The Chapel was opened by Bishop R.O Hall.
1952 North House (A student dormitory) was built
1964 Opening of the Classroom Block
1968 The College became a co-educational school

The first boarding school that admitted both boys and girls of all forms
1970

 

 Ng Wah Hall officially opened

The College became a government subsidized school
1976 First organization in Hong Kong to host the Walkathon charity program, “Walk for St Stephen’s” to raise funds for the construction of the New Extension of the College
1978 First school to stage an English Musical in Public Venues (City Hall Concert Hall and Baptist Community Hall)
1980 The Special Room Block and Tang Shiu-kin Hall opened with Sir Shiu-kin Tang, Mr Ho Tim, Mr Li Ka-shing and Sir Yue-kong Pao as benefactors
1982 Alex Au Building opened

Wilson Wang Water Sports Centre consisting a 50-metre swimming pool opened
1983 First school to initiate a student exchange program with foreign schools (Australia)
1985 The 'New Direction Program', a Life-wide Learning and Leadership Training program for the enhancement of Chinese identity through China visits, was first launched
1987 First Hong Kong school to initiate a music enhancement visit to China
1988 The Leung Kau Kui Student Centre was opened
1995 The College Choir received the Silver Award for outstanding performance at the Sydney International Music Festival and was invited to perform at the Sydney Opera House
1999 Mr. Derek R. Too succeeded Mr. Luke Yip as Principal.
2000 The Administration Building, built in 1984, was renamed after the 11th principal Mr Luke Yip (the first Chinese Principal) 'Luke Yip Building'
2006 Centenary Building was officiated by Mr. Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen, the Chairman of the Hong Kong and Shang Hai Banking Corporation
2008 The Heritage Trail - the first of its kind in a Hong Kong school was inaugurated.

The College joined the Direct Subsidy Scheme
2011 Bungalow Number 3 has been renovated into a “Heritage Gallery”






 The School House was declared as monument.
2012 Opening of a new student dormitory, the “College House”
 

More Historical Photos

 
 
 
E-mail